Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

Armand Premo

What is wrong with Drip Cap?Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: soolinehistory
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:43 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

--- In STMFC@..., "Don" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:
> Hi Marty,
> Clearly the simple and logical way out of your dilemna is to call the piece the "top end plate" as Dennis originally suggested as that eliminates any confusion as to where a "plate" might be applied, top or someplace lower. Like you, and inspite of the CBC definition, I do not accept the terminology that a "plate" is always the piece on top.
> That might be the case with wooden construction but I doubt it holds with steel owing to its being rolled as "plate steel". This the "top end plate" seems to be the most appropriate description as it served for more than a simple "drip strip".
> Cordially, Don Valentine

I can't say I disagree. The term "plate" was initially used in wood car construction, so there was little confusion with "plate" steel.

Also the member across the bottom of car framing is almost universally called a "sill" (side sill, end sill) because in invariably spreads the load and transmits it to the bolsters. This differs from common architectural usage, where the "sole plate" of a stud wall, for instance, serves to space the studs, but doesn't actually distribute their load, and so isn't actually a sill, and therefore isn't called a sill.

Now that we're through the definition of "plate", the distinctive feature of the piece that both CV and CN used is that it's a steel pressing, rather than a length of standard section structural steel.


Join to automatically receive all group messages.