Train Miniature Hart Gondola

Andy Harman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261012077998

I picked up one of these at a show last weekend. It was real cheap and I had never seen anything like it before - and I've pretty much seen about every plastic freight car. It had no markings indicating the manufacturer. Painted green with N&W lettering - the half moon logo which seemed too new for the car. The previous owner heavily weathered it (not near as bad as the one in the above ebay auction). I figured it was some AHM car I had never heard of... but later at the same show I found one new in the box - Train Miniature and the box tab said it was a Hart gondola. Oddly enough back in the 70s I thought I had bought one of everything.... but never saw this car before.

I don't think Walthers has ever re-issued it, but maybe it just flew below my radar. It's a pretty crude model, but it's an unusual car and I'm wondering how accurate it is and who may have had them and what they were used for. Maybe add another drop-bottom gondola to my future display shelf which will just include cool gondolas regardless of era, or even scale (I still have an unbuilt PBL Sn3 drop bottom). Right now it's going to the wife's layout since she's the one who found it... if I decide to do a serious build on one and can find good data, I'll seek out an unbuilt original kit to start from.

Andy