Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

Don <riverman_vt@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Armand Premo" <armprem2@...> wrote:

What is wrong with Drip Cap?Armand Premo
----- Original Message -----
From: soolinehistory
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:43 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar
Hi Armand,

Primarily that this is in fact a structural member. Were the design history of the car known to us I suspect we would find that while it was designed as a structural member some engineer was sharp enough to realize it COULD also serve as a drip cap and thus designed it accordingly. I am not aware, however, of such parts being designated by a purpose that is actually secondary to their primary
purpose. Thus the term "drip cap" is not properly descriptive.

Most cordially, Don Valentine

--- In STMFC@..., "Don" <riverman_vt@> wrote:
> Hi Marty,
> Clearly the simple and logical way out of your dilemna is to call the piece the "top end plate" as Dennis originally suggested as that eliminates any confusion as to where a "plate" might be applied, top or someplace lower. Like you, and inspite of the CBC definition, I do not accept the terminology that a "plate" is always the piece on top.
> That might be the case with wooden construction but I doubt it holds with steel owing to its being rolled as "plate steel". This the "top end plate" seems to be the most appropriate description as it served for more than a simple "drip strip".
> Cordially, Don Valentine

I can't say I disagree. The term "plate" was initially used in wood car construction, so there was little confusion with "plate" steel.

Also the member across the bottom of car framing is almost universally called a "sill" (side sill, end sill) because in invariably spreads the load and transmits it to the bolsters. This differs from common architectural usage, where the "sole plate" of a stud wall, for instance, serves to space the studs, but doesn't actually distribute their load, and so isn't actually a sill, and therefore isn't called a sill.

Now that we're through the definition of "plate", the distinctive feature of the piece that both CV and CN used is that it's a steel pressing, rather than a length of standard section structural steel.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join to automatically receive all group messages.