Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

Armand Premo

Not to prolong the discussion,but the shape of the object in question is rather unique.Admittedly my knowledge on this subject is limited, but I can't recall ever seeing this shape on any other single sheathed freight car.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Don
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:59 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

--- In STMFC@..., "Armand Premo" <armprem2@...> wrote:

> What is wrong with Drip Cap?Armand Premo

Hi Armand,

Primarily that this is in fact a structural member. Were the design history of the car known to us I suspect we would find that while it was designed as a structural member some engineer was sharp enough to realize it COULD also serve as a drip cap and thus designed it accordingly. I am not aware, however, of such parts being designated by a purpose that is actually secondary to their primary
purpose. Thus the term "drip cap" is not properly descriptive.

Most cordially, Don Valentine