Re: End brackets on CV 40000-series boxcar

soolinehistory <destorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Marty" <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Just to clarify when Jim McFarlane told me about the steel "plate" on the ends of the 40000 series cars I thought he was referring to the flat plate on the bottom of the end that was in place of 3-4 of the lower horizontal boards. The Steam Shack/F&C resin kit duplicates this - sort of - since on the model the steel plate is taller than the prototype.

I will attempt to upload a picture of the end of the car into the Files section - and will add a posting to my blog (www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com) shortly.

Marty
Getting back to the (top) end plate, here is a link to a photo on the Fallen Flags web site of the CN version. The top plate design is similar, although the end post arrangement is different.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cn/cn502471jpa.jpg

These CN cars are almost the same design as the 1917 Canadian Government Railways cars that my old resin kit was based on. The major difference (other than a couple inches of carbody width, was the design of the end plates... the earlier cars had either a flanged steel plate or a fabrication of plate and rolled angles... I no longer have access to the general arrangement drawing, and I can't recall after all this time.

However, while a flanged steel plate can be made on a flanging machine with no additional tooling, the CN and CV parts are more complicated, and require the construction of a forming die, making these pressed steel parts.

However, I get the feeling the horse I'm beating expired long ago :-(

Dennis