Re: Airbrush Clinic & Demo at Naperville

Andy Harman

At 01:34 AM 11/2/2012 +0000, you wrote:
After it was all over I realize that I am going to need a lot of practice before I paint my rolling stock. However, I am very happy I participated and Alan was a good teacher helping me to overcome my reticence.
You'd be surprised. I got my first airbrush in 1972 when I was 14 years old. I had been building models since age 7 and using spray paint since about the age of 10. I loaded my cheapie Badger 250 up with Floquil engine black and painted a Tyco Mikado tender. It was a better paint job on my first try than I ever got with a spraycan.

I've never gotten into any of the really fine techniques. I couldn't do T shirts or any kind of "art". I use my airbrush for painting.

I also was told there was a substantial learning curve to go from a single action like the H to a double action like the VL. I believed this for 20 years. In 1996 I bought a VL, and let it sit around for a while, I eventually tried it. I haven't used the H since, and I'm still trying to figure out what's so hard about it. Maybe having to un-learn the pushback procedure for clearing clogs on a single action... don't need to worry about that anymore!

Andy