Re: Boxcar Underside

Eric Hansmann

I went to the link and clicked on the magnifying glass for a larger view. Then I increased my browser magnification to 400% (on the IE browser menu, click on View > Zoom).

There seem to be metal elements bolted to the bolster beams, but the actual beams may be wood. I initially thought the bolsters were cast pieces, but I now think these are wood parts.

The longitudinal beams of the car all look to be similar and I would guess it is a wood underframe with no steel upgrades to this point.

Eric

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

--- In STMFC@..., "rwitt_2000" <rwitt_2000@...> wrote:

All the comments have been excellent, but I will note that the photo may
be from 1915, but the construction methods date from 10 to 15 years
earlier. By 1915 many railroads would be adding steel center sills to
such underframes if they intended to keep operating the cars.

Can others determine if the body bolsters are cast iron or steel. It
definitely does not appear to have metal draft gear
<http://pasttensevancouver.tumblr.com/post/25540455933/boxcar1915>

Regards,

Bob Witt