Re: blog post on vehicle license plates

Rod Miller

On 11/20/12 2:24 PM, Anthony Thompson wrote:
Rod Miller wrote:
In the 1950s in Nevada, where my SP freight carrying layout is set,
the license plate format was a one or two letter prefix identifying
the county, then a number. The plates were replaced every year,
with the background and letter colors of silver and blue
alternating each year.
The alternating colors only appear in 1956-1958; see this link:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/nevada-170.html?sort=20a&page=3&=

It looks like the letter prefix(es) didn't appear until 1956. In my
modeling year, 1953, Nevada had yellow characters on a black or dark
green background (not sure which).

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA 2906
Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com (510)
540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history
Thanks Tony. My recollection was way off.

Rod