Helium cars and paint

Malcolm H. Houck

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 am (PST) . Posted by:
_"lnbill" lnbill _
(mailto:fgexbill@...?subject=Re:%20:%20completed%20helium%20car%20model)
Military Modelers commonly use slightly lighter shades of paint to
compensate for what they call "the Scale Effect."

Bill Welch

Back to a mid-1950's MR article John Allen wrote about his techniques
for weathering. As a professional photographer he was more than casually
interested in light, lighting and lighting effects. He made a specific
point of
mentioning that his methods of painting and weathering included lightening
the paint or application; -- all to account for the fact that, in his
opinion, the
interior lighting in which models are most customarily viewed was about
one-fifiteth (his term) the intensity of sunlight.

For myself I also pre-weather painted models by adding a non-specific
amount of white, gray, M-O-W gray, or grime to all base colors. This
serves, in my opinion, to make details less subject to being obscured
and eases the subsequent task of weathering.

The variations in colors and coloring adds a temporal feature to my own
modeling, by suggesting fading (as Tony Thompson mentions) and then
further suggesting that even the same or similar cars may have
undergone painting at differing times in the past, perhaps using paint
formulas of slightly differing composition or aging.

As for black, and especially black used on steam locomotives, I not
only lighten the black with some manner of gray, but I also "warm" the
paint by adding boxcar red as well. I use this to account for the fact
that often models are displayed under fluorescent light tending to green
spectra and absent red light.

Mal Houck