Re: Enterprise door locks

Armand Premo

Just picked up an old MDC Side Stake triple hopper,rather crude by current standards of expectation.Is there any possibility of creating a silk purse from this sow's ear? Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 11:52 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Enterprise door locks

In the Miner spec sheet, it's interesting to note that the modern Type D has door-opening mechanisms on both sides of the car, and the operating shaft goes all the way across. This represents a change since the steam era: in the forties operating mechanisms were put on the right side only, and therefore the shaft went only hafway across. For some discussion, please see message #106522.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "soolinehistory" <destorzek@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In STMFC@..., "frograbbit602" <frograbbit602@> wrote:
> >
> > Thank You Paul, Ken, Dennis, and Andrew for you response. Dennis, I was not aware there were two types. I was aware only of the "Unit lock." Therefore, I will have to do some more research. I appreciate your source help and I will check them out. Lester Breuer
> >
>
> The "Enterprise Type D" is still made and marketed by Miner, although a lot of the cast parts have been replaced by fabrications. Here's some info:
>
> http://www.minerent.com/products/rds_Coal-TypeD.php
>
> I always thought the Enterprise Unit Lock would be a natural detail part to add to all those Atheran twin hoppers that came with NO lock detail whatsoever, but as far as I know, it was never commercially made. I guess no one missed them, being under the car and all.
>
> Dennis
>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.