From: polaris4525 <kuban@labs.net>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Dec 14, 2012 4:21 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Combo Door Box Cars

During the early-mid 50's some 40' combo door boxcars, as represented bu Accurail's 3800-series, began to appear on Western/Northwestern Roads.

What was the purpose of providing a boxcar with both a plug door and a sliding door? As the GN and NP seemed to be proponents of this configuration, I would speculate that this had something to do with lumber shipments, but I have never been able to verify this. Did any Eastern roads own such cars?

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV