Re: pros and cons of brass bearings?

Barrybennetttoo@...

Here in the UK the underframes sold for freight cars tended to be moulded
in styrene type plastics, so the brass bearings are to protect the axle
boxes against wear. Much of the newer stock is moulded in engineering type
plastics as in the US market so the brass bearings are becoming very much of an
anachronism.

Barry Bennett
Coventry, England.

In a message dated 15/12/2012 05:17:33 GMT Standard Time, rdkirkham@...
writes:

Having read all the efforts some go to changing out wheel sets in trucks to
get just the right rolling characteristics, I've wondered why I don't ever
see anyone talk about using brass bearings in the trucks. I see them for
sale on many UK OO scale sites - not sure why those modellers needs them and
we don't. they come in shouldered and flush mount, in 2mm size. At the
same time I've wondered about Tichy nylon bearings.

Any one here done testing or otherwise worked with these products? What
worked? What didn't?

Rob Kirkham