Re: Speedwitch #k106 CB&Q/FW&D/C&S XM-25/26 SS boxcar question #k106

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 23, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

Comrades

I am working on the Speedwitch kit of the XM 25/26. One side will be
from the C&S 13500-13999 series and the other side from the FW&D
7201-7700 series. The prototype photos included show C&S 13781
(1-1965) and FW&D 7415 (10-1953) with gussets at the top where the
vertical and diagonal braces meet while FW&D 7234 (10-1953) does not
have the gussets. Curious if anyone knows at what point these gussets
began to be applied?

Bill, I'm late responding to this because I've been in the middle of a major computer upgrade, but I don't recall having seen a definitive answer, unless you got one off list. I have numerous photos of these cars both with and without the gussets. However, the gussets were apparently added as the cars came through the shops in the mid-'50s, as the earliest photo I have of a car with gussets shows a reweigh date of 8-53.

Richard Hendrickson