Re: Unusual cars (was Re: UP box car etc) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Great discussion, guys! Just had this same discussion with a friend about a WIF box car and an MDC reefer...

Having seen in person, and heard many more examples of "oddballs" (cars you don't expect to see somewhere, not necessarily a type of car) showing up unexpectedly, I created a drawer for cars that I have show up unexpectedly, but not by whim; I have some reason (d100 die roll each operating session):

Flat car with rebuilt transformer for power plant (determined by d100);
Partially reloaded reefer from downtown Pgh's reefer heaven, going to a local supermarket distributor facility;
Bad-order car(s) destined to be set out somewhere, based on sharp eyes of operators;
Mis-directed car that does not belong in a consist;
Open hopper from some far away location that is statistically SOOO unlikely to be there...;
Ditto for box car;
Ditto for gon;
Very unusual load for local team track, with empty for cycle back;
Shifted load car, also for spotting by some sharp-eyed operator;
Cars that are damaged in some way, and should be bad-ordered or not used for intended service (i.e., gon with missing sections of flooring, flat cars with same, etc.)

There could be dozens more.

So, in my world, a string of "expected" hoppers sometimes gets an addition of that one SP (or ATSF, DRGW, or IC) hopper that "just does not belong there", just so it looks more real, maybe only to me,

Elden Gatwood

P.S. Any idea why a six-done "wine" tank car might be on the P&WV?