Re: More New Nastiness in 3D Resin Printing

Bob Sterner

Hi Tim,

I had the same thought as you when I was looking at the prototype bridge. It's not the only one (now gone) in that part of town that seems very thin to my eyes. It could be my model accentuates the effect because for reasons probably nobody but me cares about I had to lengthen the model bridge about 25% compared to the prototype. The person who designed the prototype bridge -- C. Turner -- was a big shot in the early 20th century in concrete construction techniques. He was pushing a design approach he called the "mushroom system", which I don't know much about.

If you're referring to the understructure of the model, I built it up with Luan, then I added the trolley tracks via handlaid rails to that. I then used Durham's water putty to make the road surface.

Steam Era freight cars run underneath!

Bob Sterner
St. Paul, MN

--- In STMFC@..., Tim O'Connor wrote:

Very impressive! Bob can you describe the under-structure of that
road bridge? I'm amazed by the shallow depth of the prototype bridge
seen from the side. Of course in 1910 they didn't have to worry about
80,000 lb trucks.

Tim O'Connor

I recently worked up some HO concrete railings (appropriate for steam era layouts) and described them on my blog:

www.bobsworkbench.com

Photos of the models are included there.

Bob Sterner
St. Paul, MN