From: Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@auburn.edu>
To: "<STMFC@yahoogroups.com>" <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, February 4, 2013 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Delano - AT&SF - 1943

Gene,

I noted that right away too. Looks like maybe locomotive sand?

Love the steam shovel and the scraper. Further down that string is a bulldozer with an A-frame - perhaps all destined for a construction project together?

Lot of tank cars, but scattered, not all in strings. The insulated 3 dome car in the front string... wine car?

The gons appear to have temporary sides made up of a variety of things and containing?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Feb 4, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Gene wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.comSTMFC@yahoogroups.com>, "Marty" wrote:

Another neat Jack Delano photo taken on the AT&SF in 1943 - Needles, Calif., according to the caption.
Some neat cars are visible, including some interesting gondola loads.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14504

No landing craft on flatcars though . . .
Marty McGuirk

Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.

Gene Green