Re: Delano - AT&SF - 1943

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gene Green wrote:
Interesting photo. Looks like the gents in foreground are shoveling sand out of a drop-bottom parked on an elevated trestle? (Would there be any other kind of trestle?) Can someone more Santa Fe-knowledgeable confirm or refute?

I ask because I can't ever recall seeing such an operation before.
Yes, there are trestles that are ground-level track over a DEPRESSED area for dumping. Is that an ELEVATED trestle? BTW, there are lots of photos of men shoveling out gondolas, but this is the only one I can recall where it is a GS gondola.

Publishers of books on railroad history