From: Richard Brennan <brennan8@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

At 08:49 AM 2/5/2013, Scott wrote:
When the NMRA was formed , the concept of railroad car historians
was in the future. The technology to create accurate products in
smaller scales, indeed, even some of the smaller scales, was in the
future. The NMRA had to work with what was possible at the time.
Today we have manufacturers producing products in finescale in O and
HO.-even N. But to ask the entire industry, with products produced
worldwide for American prototypes, to retool to a new standard is
unreasonable.
"Retool to a new standard??" So... how is that circa-1984 analog
mobile phone working?

Standards (should) evolve... and those changes help carry the
industry forward. IMHO... it is time for NMRA2.
We already have some parts of it in the "Fine" and "Proto" standards
and recommendations. The rest need to be agreed and "packaged" for
commercial use.

Let's be realistic about changes in the market:
The folks buying $500+ engines and $40+ cars are -NOT- the Christmas
Tree or 4-by-8 plywood crowd for which some of the early NMRA work
was meant. I see no real reason why the NMRA cannot extend it's
efforts into some updated branding efforts like "NMRA Fine" or "NMRA
Proto"... with a selected set of more prototypical specifications and
interoperability practices.

Even at the mall kiosk, they ask the teens... "Did you want that new
SmartPhone for 3G, or for 4G LTE? !!!"
(NB: 4G LTE is standards-speak for "4th Generation - Long Term Evolution"...)