Re: The wheels on the bus go round and round, was Re: Revell Flatcar

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

David, I would humbly disagree with you regarding both of your comments. First of all, the PRR used their 156 lb. rail on their mainlines throughout Pennsylvania, on both the Middle Division and on both sides of the climb over the Allegheny Mountains. The reason for this heavy rail was NOT due to traffic weight, but to absorb the heavy pounding of the locomotives that were used on these lines (primairly class I1sa with an main rod thickness of 11.75" at the end of the rod). Once the diesel had banished the I1s, the PRR relaid the line with 132 lb. rail.

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:11 AM
Subject: [STMFC] The wheels on the bus go round and round, was Re: Revell Flatcar

--- In STMFC@..., timboconnor@... wrote:

Bruce, I know that's true, but how common was 156lb rail on the PRR, really? I grew up in PRR territory and none
of the rail I ever saw was 156lb. Of course I didn't go out on the Middle Division, maybe that's where they used it...
IIRC the 156# stuff was only used on the line from Pittsburgh up to the Lake Erie ore docks, and maybe a handful of other small locations. The rest of the main system was the usual 120-130# rail that everyone else used for heavy traffic. Code 100 rail really should be banished from HO on general principle.

David Thompson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.