Re: How far do we go?

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Mike, I was referring to the old S-4 standard wheels (the ones that were around before the RP-25 wheels). AFAIK, since the RP-25 wheel is STILL the recommended practice, the standard should still be the old wheel. The last manufacturer of these wheels was Athearn which used them in the sintered metal wheels that they supplied with their passenger cars for pickup.

And I would defer to Mr. Mallery (even though he was an E.E.) in regards to the distance the points threw. Most manufacturers of model railroad turnouts have a much larger throw... the worst ones I've seen recently are the Kato Unitrack turnouts... without measuring them with my trusty dial calipers (even if the hobby shop owner would let me...) the throw looks like it's almost wide enough for a scale railfan to fall into. The problem we have at the Napa club is that most of the turnouts there are built to these generous proportions, and nobody wants to correct them. HO scale turnouts are a particular peeve of mine (along with "friction" trucks and brown wheel faces on wheels used in trucks equipped with conventional bearings... the oil leaks out of the cellar and coats the face of the wheel, which then picks up road dirt and becomes a dead black. They ALL do this. And almost nobody models this (I use Testor's Flat black on mine and it looks good.))(/>
rant)

And the problem with wheels falling into flangeways and between points is a problem that they've had at the Napa club, and is why they won't certify "Code 88" wheels for operation that are not moved out to the maximum back-to-back distance allowed. They've been running things there for over 40 years and I'm assuming that we've learned a thing or three over that period...

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

Bill Daniels writes:

"But, on the other hand, I do think that the NMRA has really dropped the
ball over the last 50 or so years. They still have a standard for wheels
that NOBODY has made for the last quarter century."

What wheels?

"And the track standards are even worse... my club (Napa, CA in case you are
curious) will not certify cars with "code 88" wheelsets to operate on the
layout unless they have been pushed out to the absolute wide limit...
otherwise they tend to fall in between the points of the turnouts (built to
NMRA standards), which scale out to a foot or more between the point and the
stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at best?"

OK...not arguing, simply trying to understand your statement. "...between
the points of the turnouts, which scale out to a foot or more between the
point and the stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at
best?"

According to Paul Mallery's Trackwork Handbook...4" for PRR in 1915. I can
take another look by checking the Track & Structure Cyc for 1955. But,
falling between the points? Hmmm. I built my own turnouts to NMRA track
standard 3.2 matching wheels built to RP-25 Code 110 and have not yet had
that problem
with so-called Code 88 wheels.

Mike Brock

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.