From: Mike Brock <brockm@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

Bill Daniels writes:

"But, on the other hand, I do think that the NMRA has really dropped the
ball over the last 50 or so years. They still have a standard for wheels
that NOBODY has made for the last quarter century."

What wheels?

"And the track standards are even worse... my club (Napa, CA in case you are
curious) will not certify cars with "code 88" wheelsets to operate on the
layout unless they have been pushed out to the absolute wide limit...
otherwise they tend to fall in between the points of the turnouts (built to
NMRA standards), which scale out to a foot or more between the point and the
stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at best?"

OK...not arguing, simply trying to understand your statement. "...between
the points of the turnouts, which scale out to a foot or more between the
point and the stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at
best?"

According to Paul Mallery's Trackwork Handbook...4" for PRR in 1915. I can
take another look by checking the Track & Structure Cyc for 1955. But,
falling between the points? Hmmm. I built my own turnouts to NMRA track
standard 3.2 matching wheels built to RP-25 Code 110 and have not yet had
that problem
with so-called Code 88 wheels.

Mike Brock