From: Andy Carlson <midcentury@...>
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:40 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

Samhongsa and Boo Rim and some others have been making code 88 type driver widths on steamers for decades. Partially solves the problem.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

From: Mike Brock brockm@...>

To: STMFC@...

Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 9:03 AM

Bill Daniels writes:

"But, on the other hand, I do think that the NMRA has really dropped the

ball over the last 50 or so years. They still have a standard for wheels

that NOBODY has made for the last quarter century."

What wheels?

"And the track standards are even worse... my club (Napa, CA in case you are

curious) will not certify cars with "code 88" wheelsets to operate on the

layout unless they have been pushed out to the absolute wide limit...

otherwise they tend to fall in between the points of the turnouts (built to

NMRA standards), which scale out to a foot or more between the point and the

stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at best?"

OK...not arguing, simply trying to understand your statement. "...between

the points of the turnouts, which scale out to a foot or more between the

point and the stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at

best?"

According to Paul Mallery's Trackwork Handbook...4" for PRR in 1915. I can

take another look by checking the Track & Structure Cyc for 1955. But,

falling between the points? Hmmm. I built my own turnouts to NMRA track

standard 3.2 matching wheels built to RP-25 Code 110 and have not yet had

that problem

with so-called Code 88 wheels.

Mike Brock