Re: How far do we go?

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

That is, if you have one... which is most likely why you say that it "Partially" solves the problem. I don't know how many they imported over the years, but I've never seen one. Not that I've seen that many new brass locomotives in the past couple of decades anyways...

I have a friend of mine who, along with his father were members of a model railroad club I was in back when I lived near Detroit. His dad had a wheelset for a steam locomotive in his toolbox that was probably full scale in width... this was in the mid 60's. I never did find out where Craig's dad got it, or why nor do I know what became of it.

Bill Daniels
San Francisco, CA

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:40 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

Samhongsa and Boo Rim and some others have been making code 88 type driver widths on steamers for decades. Partially solves the problem.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--- On Wed, 2/6/13, Bill Daniels billinsf@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?
To: "STMFC@..." STMFC@...>
Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 12:27 PM

Not a problem for freight (or passenger) cars, Andy, but what do you do for locomotives... especially steam. That gets to be a real problem.

Bill Daniels

San Francisco, CA

To: STMFC@...

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:30 AM

Subject: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

Concerning the code 88/110 compatibility with switch work, I suggest looking at the Fast Tracks web site where they have some 3D animation of what happens when a wheel goes through a frog. I took from this the importance of having a sharp frog, to the point of being dangerously sharp! A freight car wheel tread will go from being supported on the wing rail, and when the wing rail diverges away, the wheel treads outermost edge will contact the point of the frog. Fat wheels, such as the code 110, will be supported farther out on the wing rail before being transferred to the frog point. Narrower wheels, such as the "semi-scale" code 88, will roll off the support of this wing rail sooner. Where a blunt frog point will work with the fat wheels as the wing rail will support it farther along, the narrower wheels will need the full length of the frog to catch the wheel tread. This is where the sharp point of the frog makes a difference, as the tip of the point

extends out just a bit more than a blunt frog, enough to catch the semi-scale wheel tread.

I have been making some switches for several months using the Fast Tracks turnout assembly fixtures, and with careful construction, I don't even hear the metal wheels click upon passing through the frog. I can not see me ever using commercial switches in the future.

Jack Parker showed me many years ago that track work can be made to work flawlessly for both code 88 and code 110 wheel equipped equipment. I ponder the feasibility of having track work which performs flawlessly with a mix of code 88 and P:87 wheels? Fat wheels would need to be excluded.

-Andy Carlson

Ojai CA

--- On Wed, 2/6/13, Mike Brock brockm@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: How far do we go?

To: STMFC@...

Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 9:03 AM

Bill Daniels writes:

"But, on the other hand, I do think that the NMRA has really dropped the

ball over the last 50 or so years. They still have a standard for wheels

that NOBODY has made for the last quarter century."

What wheels?

"And the track standards are even worse... my club (Napa, CA in case you are

curious) will not certify cars with "code 88" wheelsets to operate on the

layout unless they have been pushed out to the absolute wide limit...

otherwise they tend to fall in between the points of the turnouts (built to

NMRA standards), which scale out to a foot or more between the point and the

stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at best?"

OK...not arguing, simply trying to understand your statement. "...between

the points of the turnouts, which scale out to a foot or more between the

point and the stock rail. A real railroad turnout is, what, 2 to 3 inches at

best?"

According to Paul Mallery's Trackwork Handbook...4" for PRR in 1915. I can

take another look by checking the Track & Structure Cyc for 1955. But,

falling between the points? Hmmm. I built my own turnouts to NMRA track

standard 3.2 matching wheels built to RP-25 Code 110 and have not yet had

that problem

with so-called Code 88 wheels.

Mike Brock

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.