From: Bruce F. Smith <smithbf@...>
To: "<STMFC@...>" <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Type X tank car (was: Styrene Tank Car ...)

Bill,

PSC has 2 kits. The one Richard wrote up was the frameless VanDyke (Type V). The one I am building tonight is the "narrow frame". As noted, the frame on that is NOT appropriate for the type X but I believe the tank is. The only difference between the tanks on the 2 kits is the bottom sheet, which has the reinforced and extended ends for the VanDyke car and is a plain old bottom sheet for the "narrow frame" car. As you may recall, the PSC tanks are in 3 parts (4 pieces) with a bottom sheet, inner former and 2 upper sides that meet at the midline. The biggest problem with these is that they need some putty and sanding to make the seams go away as these are "radial" course tanks so it will take a few days to get it all cleaned up. It is a "tankless" job, but it has to be done

I do have a type V VanDyke partially assembled already and plan on finishing it while I do the type X car so we'll have a side by side

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Feb 7, 2013, at 1:20 PM, lnbill wrote:

Rats, I missed the Walkway casting! I built the PSC kit you mention years ago prompted by Richard's artilce in RMC. Bruse , I am a little confused, which tank are you assembling tonite?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@...@yahoogroups.com>, "Bruce F. Smith" wrote:

Bill, Folks,

As will I. For $17.48 including shipping, it seemed worth a look and I've wanted to see something from Shapeways anyway. I'll be testing it with the Precision parts from their HON3 narrow frame car. I don't know if you noticed but Shapeways also has the walkway for the MDC car.

As indicated in previous emails, the type X has a different bottom sheet to the tank when compared to the type V, and the Precision Scale models replicate that detail. I think all the rest of the pieces are there, so I'll likely get the tank assembled tonight and then we'll see how it goes together. Maybe I'll have it done by the next Prototype Rails meet!

The tank car kit is $39 with brass truck kits and brass details, but the trucks that come with it sell for $18 (look for those on eBay ) so that offsets the cost of the frame from Shapeways

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

__

/ &#92;

| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

On Feb 7, 2013, at 1:06 PM, lnbill wrote:

I will report in when it comes. I just rolled the dice and ordered one! Now I have to find the MDC kit I remember buying to see if the tank could be of use.

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@...@yahoogroups.com> , Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Feb 7, 2013, at 8:51 AM, "ealabhan0" wrote:

--- In STMFC@...@yahoogroups.com> , Richard Hendrickson wrote: No, the narrow gauge underframe bore no relationship to the standard gauge underframe; one might as well make an entirely new center sill and bolsters as try to re-work the Blackburn NG underframe.

Gentlemen,

While looking on Shapeways at a very nice HO concrete bridge railing, I found the following, a replacement underframe for the MDC 26ft tank car (earlier said to represent the UTLX type X), based upon a drawing in the 1906 Car Builders Cyclopedia. From the various images, does this look like a decent representation of the standard guage type X underframe and bolsters?
http://www.shapeways.com/model/537530/mdc-26-ft-tank-car-frame-1-87.html?li=productBox-search

Not my work, but respectfully submitted for your consideration,
Dave Sieber, Reno NV

Dave, that's certainly intended to be an HO scale reproduction of the Class X center sill and bolsters. Whether it's a decent representation is hard to say, but I'd certainly like to see the actual part.

Richard Hendrickson