From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Welch
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 3:57 PM
To: Steam Era Freight cars
Subject: [STMFC] Multi Unit tank cars to transport "Liquid Chlorine, Sulphur, etc."

Comrades

In the process of thumbing through the Train Shed CYC #12 "Tank Cars
1922-1943" that came in the mail today there were several images of
the tank cars built by AC&F and General American Type TMU. Most are
listed for the handling of Liquid Chlorine but one entry says,
"Liquid Chlorine, Sulphur, etc." These cars were equipped to carry up
to fifteen 1.5 ton dismountable tanks. I had noticed these cars in
the other THC volume and thought them interesting. Today I Googled
Liquid Chlorine to try to understand why these specialized cars were
used for its transport. It is a powerful "oxidizing agent." Owners
shown were Columbia Alkali Corp., (CACX), Penn. Salt Mfg. (SMX), and
Electro Bleaching Gas Co. (EBG).

Curious if someone can explain why they used the small tanks to
handle Liquid Chlorine? This seems like a good project for Funaro &
Camerlengo or brass. Thoughts?

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622