Re: Multi Unit tank cars to transport "Liquid Chlorine, Sulphur, etc."

Charles Hladik

Bill,
It's been done in brass in HO and O. Can't remember by whom. Not sure
about the 1.5 ton statement though, these appear smaller than that.
My understanding is that the smaller tanks were used mainly by
municipalities for water treatment back in the 40's. I remember trains of them
leaving Fairport Harbor, Ohio going past the Diamond Alkali plant, heading out
on the FP&E, Fairport, Painesville and Eastern, most likely to connect to
NYC. Morton Salt had/has a large under the lake, Erie, mine at , I think,
Grand River.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 2/15/2013 3:58:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fgexbill@tampabay.rr.com writes:

Comrades

In the process of thumbing through the Train Shed CYC #12 "Tank Cars
1922-1943" that came in the mail today there were several images of
the tank cars built by AC&F and General American Type TMU. Most are
listed for the handling of Liquid Chlorine but one entry says,
"Liquid Chlorine, Sulphur, etc." These cars were equipped to carry up
to fifteen 1.5 ton dismountable tanks. I had noticed these cars in
the other THC volume and thought them interesting. Today I Googled
Liquid Chlorine to try to understand why these specialized cars were
used for its transport. It is a powerful "oxidizing agent." Owners
shown were Columbia Alkali Corp., (CACX), Penn. Salt Mfg. (SMX), and
Electro Bleaching Gas Co. (EBG).

Curious if someone can explain why they used the small tanks to
handle Liquid Chlorine? This seems like a good project for Funaro &
Camerlengo or brass. Thoughts?

Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622