Re: News from Model Shapeways & UPS

Dean Payne

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner... and I suspect getting one would cost more than a can of Bestine!
I had no idea it was going to be such an issue to get these cleaned. If so, I wonder why they don't clean them at the source? The hassle and cost of using these frames is going up... I wonder if I shouldn't have just carried through with my idea of scratchbuilding them (but the saddles would be complicated to do correctly, and have them sturdy enough for use).

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Vanwormer <robsmom@...> wrote:

Dean,
Use your ultrasonic cleaner with a diluted 10 to 1 mixture of SuperClean
(available at Walmart & auto stores.

Tom VanWormer

ken_olson54022 wrote:

I would suspect that you could go back to Micheal's, read the caution
information on the label to find out what's in there then go to a
hardware or paint store and get something that will do the job for a
lot less money.
Example: Fingernail polish remover = acetone.

Ken Olson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dean"
<1payne1@> wrote:

I have two of the underframes, and I've heard that Bestine rubber
cement thinner is the best way to clean the waxy residue off. I've
been trying to think of other ways to clean them... and finally broke
down and went to Michael's yesterday to pick up some Bestine. But...
it was $17 a pint! I'm thinking this may be my only chance I'll ever
use Bestine... But I was willing to spend maybe $5, not $17. What
other methods work for cleaning Shapeways parts prior to gluing/painting?

Dean Payne