Re: Ford Auto Part Shipments

Rick Jesionowski

In the sixties and seventies, the routing to CA for Ford Auto Parts was the DT&I to Delta, OH, WAB from Delta to Kansas City, Then it varied with the UP, Rock Island, and MP connecting with the D&RGW and WP to Milpitas, CA or UP direct to LA. Also dropped a lot of cars at the Kansas City Ford Plant. These were called the Fast Ford Trains. The C&NW, MILW and SP contributed cars to these pools also.

Also, the Twin Cities Ford Truck plant was served by the DT&I, AA, Car Ferry to the GB&W, BN at Winona. The Ann Arbor car ferries were modified to take the 86' Hi-Cubes, but a lot of other parts were sent in 60' and 50' Boxcars.

Rick Jesionowski