Re: News from Model Shapeways & UPS

Michael Watnoski

I think that heptanes can be found in lighter fluid. This is probably an easy source to try first.

Michael

On 2/18/2013 12:27 PM, Don Burn wrote:
It appears Bestine is heptanes, see if there is a supplier of that locally,
such as hardware or home improvement store.

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dean
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 12:24 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: News from Model Shapeways & UPS

I don't own a media blaster, only an air brush. I expect the media blaster
would be more expensive than a big can of Bestine...
I've found a store (Dick Blick) that probably carried 4 oz cans of Bestine,
but it's 2 1/2 hours away... Or I can pay shipping, $4 for the can, $10
shipping... that's almost what I could get the big can for!

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:
What about media blasting it with Baking Soda?

Bill Welch

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tom Vanwormer <robsmom@> wrote:
Dean,
Use your ultrasonic cleaner with a diluted 10 to 1 mixture of
SuperClean (available at Walmart & auto stores.

Tom VanWormer

ken_olson54022 wrote:

I would suspect that you could go back to Micheal's, read the
caution information on the label to find out what's in there then
go to a hardware or paint store and get something that will do the
job for a lot less money.
Example: Fingernail polish remover = acetone.

Ken Olson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dean"
<1payne1@> wrote:
I have two of the underframes, and I've heard that Bestine
rubber
cement thinner is the best way to clean the waxy residue off. I've
been trying to think of other ways to clean them... and finally
broke down and went to Michael's yesterday to pick up some Bestine.
But...
it was $17 a pint! I'm thinking this may be my only chance I'll
ever use Bestine... But I was willing to spend maybe $5, not $17.
What other methods work for cleaning Shapeways parts prior to
gluing/painting?
Dean Payne