Re: Identity of rebuild box car in Monsanto tank car pic

Rob Adams

Steve;

Thanks for the information. While the car next to the Monsanto tank has
obvious differences and is probably taller than the car in the link from
the steamerafreightcars web site you sent, I'm inclined to think that
you've pegged its identity. I would sure like to see more photographs
of cars from the GTW 470250-470749 series. Perhaps another member can
point us at additional information.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 3/2/13 9:26 PM, midrly wrote:

Looking at the highest resolution available of this image, that's a
GTW 1938 or 1939 Port Huron Shops rebuild of a steel-frame boxcar. CN
470000-470249 were assigned to CN and rebuilt in 1936 at Port Huron,
MI. GTW 470250-470749 were rebuilt in 1938 and 1939. The car in the
photo appears to have "G.T.W. 4706_ _ stencilled on the end. Both CN
and GTW rebuilds used rebuild kits from a third party. This also
explains the stirrup below the end ladder, GTW at that time following
CN practice.

A photo of a GTW car from the Steam Era Freight Cars website--

<http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/modeling/new%20products/sylvan/gtwcnrbldmain.html>>

Ian Cranstone's CN equipment list published in CN Lines Vol. 7/3 gives
the following info on these cars--40'-6" i.l, 10'-4" i.h. Rebuilt from
cars built by AC&F 1920. "Steel rebuilt from xCN578000-579999 series
12/38--12/39 (considered new)." The height explains the use of that
out-of character filer plate.

Sylvan Scale Models made a nice HO kit for this car a few years back,
but I don't know if it had the bifurcated panel between the upper and
lower panels. One version of the Sylvan model has 7/2/7 "Murphy" ends.
All prototype photos that I've seen of GTW rebuilds show a 3/3/3
"Murphy" end, not this end. Until now.

And now yet another "CN family" car has been added to my modelling
bucket list...

Steve Lucas.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>,
"rwitt_2000" wrote:

Rob Adams wrote:

Looking more at that roof, it appears to be a Murphy Type 1 Double
Panel
roof like what was applied to the early Milwaukee rib-side box cars.
Rob,

It looks like the car has a sill step below the ladder on the end, which
was common practice for Canadian railroads and may help to identify the
the box car.

'tis an unusual way to extend to height of the end.

Regards,

Bob Witt