Re: Delaware and Hudson cement boxcar

Armand Premo

Some of these cars became sand cars at engine terminals in later life.They were painted red.A.Premo

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:58 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Delaware and Hudson cement boxcar

Have you seen the article on the D&H cars in MM 2/85, pp 30-33? There are photos and drawings of the hoppers and hatches.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "rckwallaby" wrote:
>
> For the little it's worth; OMI produced a model of this in 1987.
> Their catalogue number #3100 - "1700" SERIES WOOD SHEATH BOX CAR, CEMENT. 75 units said to have been built.
>
> I have one of these unpainted in my collection.
> There was one sold on BrassTrains.com a few years back that had been nicely painted and lettered. Even weathered as I recall. I saved some of those photos but they're currently in the netherland pile of files from a hard drive crash recovery.
>
> If you wanted some of those, if they could be of value to you, I could go look.
>
> Cheers
> Phil Morrow
> Melbourne -AUS.
>
>
> --- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "jim_mischke" wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I am very curious about the D&H cement boxcar, a modified USRA single sheathed boxcar, the familiar HO model manufactured by Tichy.
> >
> > B&O had similar cars, classes M-24a and M-24b, modified in 1933, 287000-287039 series. They were first used to haul cement for new locks on the Allegheny River, later zinc sinters and sand for Dupont. They lasted in hopper form until 1958 or so.
> >
> > Our B&O photos and information are sparce or conflicting. Perhaps some research into the D&H experience might help. Certainly neither B&O nor D&H invented hopper doors or hatches for their cement car programs, they bought from vendors. Maybe the same vendors.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a D&H diagram book or diagram for this D&H car? An emailed attachment would be welcome, pdf or jpg format would work.
> >
> > Please contact me in advance. Thank you in advance.
> >
> >
> > Jim Mischke
> > B&OHS
> >
>

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.