L&N USRA open hopper details

Rob Adams

I have an old Intermountain (O scale) USRA hopper kit decorated for L&N
86354 with a re-weigh stencil of 3-38. The model has large reporting
marks which I understand probably lasted well into the 40's. The July
1937 ORER shows 1997 hopper cars of 1880 cu ft in series 86000-87999.
It looks like the L&N also had other series with those dimensions and cu
ft, so it seems likely it would be a representative L&N hopper in the
early to mid 1940's.

I'm looking for guidance from members with L&N freight car knowledge on
the following:

1. How accurate was the paint and lettering on this particular run of
Intermountain L&N hoppers?
2. How quickly was the L&N converting its hopper fleet to AB brakes?
i.e. Should it be modeled with KD or AB brakes circa early to
mid-1940's?
3. What kind of trucks did this series of cars have?
4. What type of hand brake?
5. How many cars did the 86000-87999 series have in 1945?
6. Can you point me at a source for a photograph of these or similar
L&N hoppers from the time period?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams