Re: Delaware and Hudson cement boxcar

Jim Mischke

I am building on the B&O Modeler article information.

Understandably, the article does not reconcile the oval roof hatches, side round hatches, or no hatch configurations seen in photos. And whose hopper doors, Wine or Enterprise? Such information has not surfaced. I would speculate that the the hopper doors would be the same as the class N-31 and N-34 wagontop covered hoppers.

We know of three uses. (1) Originally used by Vang Construction to haul cement from a plant in Pittsburgh to build nearby Allegheny River Lock and Dam #2 during 1933-1936, 40 cars, class M-24a. (2) In 1940, eight of these M-24a cars were reassigned to haul sand between a quarry on the AC&Y and a Dupont plant in Cleveland. (3) Also in 1940, 18 were converted to M-24b for zinc sinter service between Dupont plants in New Castle, Pa. and one in West Virginia. Both Dupont services seem to have lasted until about 1958. Several cars went into company service, unknown task.

However, the B&O photographs do not directly corrulate between the three configurations and the three uses.

--- In STMFC@..., "Pieter_Roos" <pieter_roos@...> wrote:

Hello Jim;

Actually, the article by Greg Smith in Vol 2, No.1 of the B&O Modeler on the M24 cement cars contains more information than I have seen in the articles and photos of the D&H cars. In particular, the MM article and Tichy kit that apparently derived from it assumed that the cars retained the as-built Murphy XLa roof. Yet D&H converted many of their USRA boxcars to use solid metal roofs (Viking, Hutchins or Murphy rectangular panel). Does it make sense that they made such a change on general service boxcars but left the original roof on bulk cement cars?

Pieter Roos
Connecticut.

--- In STMFC@..., "jim_mischke" <jmischke@> wrote:

Found a little more information.

citation: "Box Cars become Gravity-Unloading Bulk Cement Carriers", Concrete - Cement mill Section, feb. 1935, pages 35-37.

A light treatment. D&H had 30 such cars. Serving plants at Howe's Cave and Glenns Falls, NY. Photo of hopper doors shows them very close to doorway.

No mention of B&O converted boxcars.

--- In STMFC@..., "jim_mischke" <jmischke@> wrote:

I am very curious about the D&H cement boxcar, a modified USRA single sheathed boxcar, the familiar HO model manufactured by Tichy.

B&O had similar cars, classes M-24a and M-24b, modified in 1933, 287000-287039 series. They were first used to haul cement for new locks on the Allegheny River, later zinc sinters and sand for Dupont. They lasted in hopper form until 1958 or so.

Our B&O photos and information are sparce or conflicting. Perhaps some research into the D&H experience might help. Certainly neither B&O nor D&H invented hopper doors or hatches for their cement car programs, they bought from vendors. Maybe the same vendors.

Can anyone point me to a D&H diagram book or diagram for this D&H car? An emailed attachment would be welcome, pdf or jpg format would work.

Please contact me in advance. Thank you in advance.

Jim Mischke
B&OHS