Re: Device often seen on single sheathed house cars-what is its name

Bill Welch

Can we anoint it the "Door Skid Strap?"

Bill Welch

--- In, Al Gest <alfredgest@...> wrote:

I recall seeing the term "door guide strap" I think in Westerfield ATSF stock car instructions.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2013, at 12:02 AM, Indian640@... wrote:

Bill Welch wrote:

I don't think this is the part I am referring to Dick. The fitting I
am speaking of had no ability to keep the door tight against the side.
The function of the strap I am talking about was to keep the door from
jamming against the bracing immediately adjacent to the door opening.
The CB&Q seemed to prefer to attach them to the steel braces while
Wabash secured them through the sheathing.

How about "door skids?" That's what they do -- skid the doors
over the external bracing. Every well developed technology has
a purpose for everything and a name for anything, but I'd wager
that each user had a different name for these specialized skids.

Mal Houck

Join to automatically receive all group messages.