Re: Livestock movements in the Northeast?

lawrence Jackman <ljack70117@...>

My wife is Jewish and a lot of our friends here in Florida are Jewish, plus all
of her relation.
I understand Kosher does not mean "blessed". I means it was produced in an
approved manor. This can be meat, baked goods ore anything else that they eat.
Kosher continues on to the shop or store where it is sold. Look in a deli and
you will see two meat slicers and two of any thing else that is user to produce
a package for jewish people. And non kosher stuff does not touch the kosher
equipment.
So what part does the Rabbi play in all of this? He goes in to any place where
they want to produce kosher food and tells them what they must do. He watches to
see that they do it right. He gives them approval and leaves. He will drop back
from time to time to make sure they are doing it right.
Also kosher goes even further. A wife "keeps a kosher kitchen". This means she
follows jewish laws pertaining to preparing the food. Two sets of dishes and
they are not washed together, stored together.
So I think your "veteran Yard master was making fun of the Jewish people. Any
car of kosher food "is kosher when loaded and it does not need any blessing
along the way. If a cow is not killed and bleed right to start, no amount of
blessing will make it kosher.
As I was growing up I heard all of the jewish jokes and stories. I love hearing
them and my wife likes hearing them and our friends like hearing them, but I am
not allowed to tell them because I am not jewish.

By the way do you know how to tell a jew from a gentile??? Go to New york and
watch the people come out of the Broadway shows. A Gentile will say to his
friend "lets go and get a drink. The jew will say to his friend " have you eat
yet. 8>)
So what kind of freight cars were being blessed????
Thank you
Larry Jackman

George Gounley wrote:

Jim Wolf wrote:

"BTW, when I worked at the former Central yard in Dewitt during
the '80's, the veteran yardmasters there often spoke about handling
kosher shipments. They told me that the kosher cars would be
switched out and spotted on a specific track next to an access road.
The Rabbi would be called, and would come out and bless (correct
word?) the beef. Then the car(s) would be switched back into the
consist (usually NY-4) and sent on to New York City or Boston."

In the mid-1970s I worked on a tariff project with a retired New Haven
General Freight Agent. In a Penn Central tariff I came across a Blessing
item for Selkirk of about $25 a car. The GFA explained that if a waybill
called for a blessing the railroad would call a local rabbi who would make
use a water hose to bless the car(s) as the train pulled out of the east end
of the yard.

George Gounley