Re: Rail Movements of Perishables into Boston

ROGER HINMAN

Yes Bill, the New Haven went to Boston. In its final corporate configuration it had acquired every rail line south of the city. It had massive freight yards in South Boston which is only a mile or two away from the Produce mkt area you mention. Bob's Photo has some nice shots of reefers being unloaded in South Boston. There was also the Union Freight Railroad which ran along the waterfront connecting the NH and the B&M. Most photos of seen of perishable product on that line was for direct delivery to customers on line. The B&M and Boston & Albany also had facilities near the city center.

Roger Hinman
On Mar 15, 2013, at 4:52 PM, "lnbill" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have accumulated a nice file of photos of the Produce Mkt. area in Boston, the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Street/Clinton Street area.

I am curious if someone on this list can tell me how deliveries by rail of Perishables would have made it to this area? I am assuming wagons and then trucks. What was the distance? In the aerials I see no obvious railroad connection nearby. My assumption is the NYNH&H would have handled the FGE/WFE/BRE traffic. Did this railroad go in to Boston?

Bill Welch