Re: USRA single sheath boxcar 1960 era survivors sought

Larry Kline

Jim,

I posted the USRA SS boxcar spreadsheet in Nov 2006. As indicated by the column headings, the data came from ORERs. I identified the unrebuilt cars from the dimensional data. I limited my table to the era covered by the STMFC group.

If you have a mid 60s ORER you can add a column to the spreadsheet and post a revised version in the files section. I would be interested in seeing the results.

Survival of the various rebuilds is listed on the second page of the spreadsheet.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Scroll down to near the end and look for a file called "USRA SS Boxcars.xls"
It claims that there were 704 basically unrebuilt survivors in 1959.

Jim Mischke wrote:
Years ago, I built a Tichy USRA single sheath boxcar as B&O class M-24 company service boxcar XM3867. Based out of Benwood, W.Va., no windows. XM meant mechanically fit for track speed.

I think I would like to build or buy another such Tichy boxcar in another road name, however, unaltered originals with AB brakes were rare by 1960. (I model 1964-65, yet this list is limited to 1960).

Can anyone cite late survivors? B&O had two, plus one with cement hoppers, CNJ only had two, Reading none, on NYC/P&LE even the steel-sided rebuids were gone by then.