Re: 3-D Printers

Tom Madden

Rod Miller wrote:

My read of the Tech Specs says the layer thickness is .2MM
or about .004". Pretty good for $1400 and another big step
towards consumerizing this technology.

A thinner layer thickness will be needed for complex surfaces
unless one wants to spend a lot of time smoothing the layer
steps.
Off by a factor of two, Rod. 0.2mm = 0.008" (nominal). 3D Systems doesn't quote the X and Y resolution directly, but it might be 0.2mm also. Build envelope for the $1300 machine is 5"x5"x5" (also nominal). Fine for smallish 1:1 objects, but not for the the type of detailed STMFC models we covet.

Tom Madden