Re: BREX 326-329, express refrigerator cars

Douglas Harding

Ed according some postings on the BRHS list three years ago the doors are
"cream compartments"

Charlie

The cream compartment cars were 326-329, built at Plattsmouth in 1937. The
photo in Bulletin 16 (the same photo as that in Bulletin
12) notes that these were the last four cars of the group so perhaps the
compartment was an afterthought. Logic certainly dictates
that the compartment was only at one end and that the doors on the "other"
side were the same as the viewed side (but it would be
nice to know).

It's interesting that the four cream cars were not separately listed in the
ORER, although a separate compartment would have reduced
the cubic capacity, whilst 304 and 321 were listed by themselves. Thinking
about the 3/8 inch reduced inside height and 1/8 inch
reduced door height of these two cars, I wonder if they had an experimental
ceiling installed, or something!

Interesting to note that sometime between 1941 and 1945, the number range
for
the express reefers was amended in the ORER's from
300-329 to 300-399, although no more express reefers were added actually to
the roster. Presumably someone considered that those
numbers would be needed or the ORER wouldn't have been changed. How much
freedom did BREX have within the Fruit Growers Express
organization when it came to car building?

Rupert