Re: Polishing Styrene and other model materials

Frederick Freitas <prrinvt@...>

Keith, You will be doing a lot of sanding and filing. When you feel you have the right amount of detail removed, apply putty to the divots in the body casting; then sand them smooth. This is usually done with very fine sand paper to finish the work area. When you are satisfied with the results, try rubbing with 0000 steel wool to polish the plastic or resin. Wash all the parts before you reassemble it. Fred FreitasBennington, VT

--- On Thu, 5/30/13, hvyweight41 <hvyweight41@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: hvyweight41 <hvyweight41@yahoo.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Polishing Styrene and other model materials
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2013, 7:41 PM

Good evening all. I have read many articles and posts about modifying kits and kit bashing. I am getting ready to embark on my first projects and I was wondering if anyone has some tips for polishing styrene or other materials (I.e., resin) after details are removed? Things like molded on hand grabs and ladders need to be removed. Scraping off details will result in a rougher surface than the original molded part. I will be painting or burnishing Bare Metal foil onto car bodies and such. I would like the finish to be consistent across the surface. Any hints or tips?

Thanks,

Keith Kempster

Jacksonville, FL