Re: Polishing Styrene and other model materials

Bruce Smith

Keith,

Bare metal foil on freight cars? Is this for patch panels? Basic sanding with decreasing grits is usually the way to handle any irregularities caused in the course of modeling. "polishing" is a term that seems a bit extreme for what you seem to be implying that you will do. If this isn't a helpful answer it might be useful to provide more details on what you are planning to do.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:41 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Polishing Styrene and other model materials

Good evening all. I have read many articles and posts about modifying kits and kit bashing. I am getting ready to embark on my first projects and I was wondering if anyone has some tips for polishing styrene or other materials (I.e., resin) after details are removed? Things like molded on hand grabs and ladders need to be removed. Scraping off details will result in a rougher surface than the original molded part. I will be painting or burnishing Bare Metal foil onto car bodies and such. I would like the finish to be consistent across the surface. Any hints or tips?

Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.