Re: Polishing Styrene and other model materials

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

The sanding thread has been interesting.

I noticed years back that the finest belt that can be bought off-the-shelf for the NWSL sanding stick is 600 grit, which is too coarse for some types of work.

So, inspird by this thread, I made my own sanding belt from 1200 grit paper.I simply cut the sandpaper using a discarded X-Acto #11 blade to 1/4 inch width. Since one length of the sandpaper would not be long enough to make the entire loop, I used two segments. Made the glue joint with Walthers Goo, following the guideline that you apply the cement to both sides to be joined, let it set for about 30 minutes, then press. After that I waited overnight for max strength to set in, and it works beautifuly.

- Claus Sclund

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 09:48 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Polishing Styrene and other model materials

Gentlemen:

In addition to the excellent wet sandpaper methods mentioned in earlier postings, I have also used toothpaste as a final polisher for plastic surfaces, as the paste contains microscopic grit. I apply it in a circular motion with the top of a flat pencil eraser, and the residue easily washes off with water. For a slightly larger grit, use baking soda and water.

Cheers!

Michael Gross
La CaƱada, CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.