Re: : Weathering freight cars

tbarney2004

On 6/12/2013 8:59 PM, Jack Burgess wrote:
Richard mentioned
<There is abundant photographic evidence that (1) steam era freight cars
<were dirty and weathered roughly proportional to how long it had been
<since they were repainted, (2) repainting was infrequent - seldom more
<than every ten years or so and often much longer than that, and (3) cars
<that had not been repainted for a long time were seriously faded and
<filthy owing not only to weathering but to the grime continually
<deposited on them from steam locomotive stacks and the mills and
<factories adjacent to rail lines and freight yards. I think only those
<who experienced it first hand can imagine how dirty railroads were in
<the '30s-'40s-early '50s. Heavy weathering on at least some cars is far
<from "a grievous error," as Armand claims; in fact it's an essential
<element of realism. Sorry, but this fact is so well documented that it
<simply is not open to discussion.
<
<Richard Hendrickson

I seem to recall that you previously stated the same general idea during a
clinic I attended but qualified it to the demands on the railroad industry
by WWII which makes sense. But I model 1939 and the few color photos that I
have of mixed trains (circa 1943) don't show heavy weathering. It is
important to note that foreign freight cars on the YV tended to be western
roads...SP, ATSF, GN, NP, etc. So, was this heavy weathering a more
pronounced with eastern roads (likely in my mind) and also more pronounced
as the war dragged on for a couple more years?

Jack Burgess
I've seen many winter-time pictures of my hometown, Altoona, where the snow between the tracks and near the rail lines was so dirty and black that you could barely tell that there WAS snow on the ground, so it really wouldn't surprise me. Also, the house I grew up in as a kid in the 70s and 80s contained, in the garage out back as part of it's construction, boards from old box cars that probably easily would have dated to the 30s and 40s that had so much dirt and grime on them from the years, that we never knew they were in there until we had torn down the garage and were dismantling the framing.

Tim Barney