Re: Weathering freight cars

CJ Riley

Jim,
I have had consistently good results using powdered color or chalk (and sometimes eye shadow) to represent faded (sometimes called chalking) paint.  Since the oxidizing of the paint creates a slight texture, the powdered material achieves that subtle fade and oxidation. The appearance changes slightly with a light application of fixative but the sense of fading and texture remains. I have not been able to achieve that appearance any other way.

CJ Riley

Bainbridge Island WA

--- On Wed, 6/12/13, jimbetz <jimbetz@jimbetz.com> wro

I have experimented with many, many different "weathering

agents" over the years - trying to get that "faded paint" look

that I think your son wants to do.

I have never even

gotten close to the look of "paint that has oxidized due to

time". .