Re: Weathering freight cars

Craig Zeni

On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:47 PM, STMFC@yahoogroups.com wrote:___________
3.7. Re: Weathering freight cars
Posted by: "Richard Hendrickson" rhendrickson@opendoor.com n1605g
Date: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:46 pm ((PDT))

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Craig Zeni <clzeni@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to offer this photo from September 1958 in Buford, Wyoming. Some very weathered cars, a couple not so much. My favorite is the NS Rwy car in front of the ACL car...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/clean-dirty-1958

Craig, that's a very instructive photo provided you remember that, by 9/58, steam locomotives were largely gone from the North American railroads. A decade earlier, those cars would have been equally weathered to various degrees (as the photo clearly shows) but a whole lot dirtier.
Indeed - I picked that up from your clinics at Cocoa :) though I'm still using Tony's acrylic washes for weathering. I'm modeling circa 1950 so there won't be many cars as clean as that ACL or NS car and more like the C&O car and NKP car...

CZ
Grievous Error NC :) :)