Why don't we ... ?

Jim Betz

Hi,

The thread about weathering our freight cars - and my
looking at a photo of a model caboose with a crew member
on the platform - got me to thinking (always a dangerous
thing!) ...

I had jobs back in the 50's. I never worked for a
railroad but several of my early jobs would be candidates
for the TV series "Dirty Jobs". Each day I would go to
work in clean clothes ... and come home covered in
dirt, grass stains (worked for a gardener), grime,
fish stains (worked in a salmon cannery), the seat of
my pants dirty (from where I sat on something to eat
my lunch) ... etc., etc., etc.

So why is it that most guys do not "weather" their
figures?

Yes, there should be areas of the clothes that should
be essentially "fresh from the last time they went thru
the wringer washer" ... but there should also be some
dirt on the knees, cuffs, arms, ... etc.
About the only figures who should be "relatively clean"
would be passenger train crews and maybe the engineer or
conductor of a freight.
- Jim

P.S. I tend not to model "the crew" ... I certainly don't
do so as often as they would be present on the
models. For me I have to balance the desire to have
a crew on/around a freight train ... with the fact
that because they are "static" they tend to not "feel
right/prototypical". That brakeman walking the
back on that GP-7 is great the first time I see him -
and then a few times later it starts to "grate on my
sense of reality" ... *SIGH!* ... it seems like I can
never achieve "perfection" ... whoops, that's one of
the BEST things about this hobby!