Evidence for loading SFRD reefers on the SP

Ken Roth

I was reading Tony Thompson's latest blog on PFE Ice Reefers and upgrading old CB&T SFRD reefers. In the article on SFRD reefers, Tony mentions that SRFD reefers were not loaded on SP, and vice-versa PFE cars on the Santa Fe. I would like to offer some evidence of loading SFRD reefers with pears in Southern Oregon in 1949 and 1950. I have a copy of a conductor's log containing a westbound (towards Calif) train out of Ashland in 1949 in which two SFRD reefers (#7319 and #36104 bound for Chicago) appear, with the cargo listed as "pears". These most likely were loaded in Medford. By the way, another eastbound train of empties headed for Ashland from California lists four empty ART reefers destined for Ashland, again likely to be loaded with pears from the Medford area. Apparently during pear season, the SP would load any reefers they could get their hands on. For my Siskiyou line pike, this justifies a wonderful mix of PFE, ART, and SFRD equipment.

Ken Roth