Re: buying model screws

C J Wyatt

<<
Brian, I thought about this point, and perhaps I should have pointed out that packaging and distributing small numbers of screws, as Walthers does and which your LHS sells, is an expensive process. So compared to bulk prices, sure, it's very pricey, but for convenience, it may serve your needs. But on this topic, as on any kind of issue of "LHS vs. somebody else," the LHS has to compete, whatever it takes. Better service, more consistent stock, knowledgeable employees, all the things you may not find on line. Actually, I DO try to buy at my LHS when I can. But not at a price ratio of more than ten to one.

No one (in the hobby business) is going to get rich selling screws or even pay the power bill, but you have to wonder why the LHS operator just doesn't buy the common size screws in bulk and repackage them himself. Offer two or three times as many as are in the Walthers packet for the same price, or he could even sell screws individually. The dime screw that gets the customer in the store might lead to a thirty dollar impulse purchase.

Jack Wyatt