Re: buying model screws

Charles Hladik

Jck,
We used to do that at Trains Unlimited in Lynchburg, Virginia. It was
appreciated and a good deal for all involved. We had a ton of detail and
scratchbuilding supplies but couldn't do much with the pricing of motive
power and rolling stock. Sad to say, Trains Unlimited is now one of the ones
that has gone down in history, leaving us to drive 60 miles to the nearest
shop.
So, please do your best to support your LHS.
Chuck Hladik

In a message dated 6/20/2013 12:57:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cjwyatt@... writes:

<<
Brian, I thought about this point, and perhaps I should have pointed out
that packaging and distributing small numbers of screws, as Walthers does
and which your LHS sells, is an expensive process. So compared to bulk
prices, sure, it's very pricey, but for convenience, it may serve your needs. But
on this topic, as on any kind of issue of "LHS vs. somebody else," the LHS
has to compete, whatever it takes. Better service, more consistent stock,
knowledgeable employees, all the things you may not find on line. Actually,
I DO try to buy at my LHS when I can. But not at a price ratio of more
than ten to one.

No one (in the hobby business) is going to get rich selling screws or even
pay the power bill, but you have to wonder why the LHS operator just
doesn't buy the common size screws in bulk and repackage them himself. Offer two
or three times as many as are in the Walthers packet for the same price,
or he could even sell screws individually. The dime screw that gets the
customer in the store might lead to a thirty dollar impulse purchase.

Jack Wyatt