Re: waybill preparation

John King

Charlie, Tony,

The B&O agent at Charles Town WV would have the local crew spot the Order Notify cars (STMFCs, of course) at the industry and would put padlocks on them until he had the released bill of lading.

John King

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie D" <omahaduck@...> wrote:

Tony
You did a great job on capturing the details on handling the waybill process from the signing of the BoLing to distribution of the multipart waybill. I worked in the Mopac's stations starting in 1975 and was around the waybill process until I retired from UP in 2012. On my own Bagnell Branch local I've added an LCL waybill for the crew to load live chicks at one of the depots and since its summer I have a load of company material ice in an old ART reefer for the section gangs to get during operating sessions. I came across the ice operations from a letter from the MP superintendent to the agents cutting off the ice car in the late 1950's and advising the agent to purchase the ice from local sources.

Am in the process of making up another switching scenario where the Mopac pulls a car off the RI interchange that's a 'Shipper's Order Notify' bill of lading. The car wouldn't be spotted at industry until the consignee showed the agent he'd gone to the local bank and paid for the commodity. The consignee's proof was a stamped bill of lading from the bank. The agent would then instruct the crew to spot the car on their next run. All I will do from a model railroad operation is have the crew spot the car by the depot instead of the industry. Shipper's Order bills of lading were pretty common in the grain industry. Obviously the railroads weren't pleased with the process because if the crew spotted the car directly to the consignee without the shipper receiving payment the railroad was liable.

Charlie Duckworth

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tony Thompson <tony@> wrote:

I've just added a new post to my blog, about waybill preparation. It's the recollections of someone who DID this job, and it clarifies the process in a way no other source could do. If you're interested, it's at this link:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2013/06/waybills-29-waybill-preparation.html

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@
Publishers of books on railroad history