Re: waybill preparation

Tony Thompson

Charlie Duckworth wrote:
Tony
You did a great job on capturing the details on handling the waybill process from the signing of the BoLing to distribution of the multipart waybill. I worked in the Mopac's stations starting in 1975 and was around the waybill process until I retired from UP in 2012. On my own Bagnell Branch local I've added an LCL waybill for the crew to load live chicks at one of the depots and since its summer I have a load of company material ice in an old ART reefer for the section gangs to get during operating sessions. I came across the ice operations from a letter from the MP superintendent to the agents cutting off the ice car in the late 1950's and advising the agent to purchase the ice from local sources.
Thanks, Charlie, but of course the excellent summary is from Harry Dolan, not me. I have not yet used LCL waybills, but do have some "Stop This Car" waybills, which as I understand it were used for partial load deliveries, all from one shipper, so not LCL in the normal sense. Any clarification would be welcome.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history