Re: waybill preparation

Tony Thompson

Charlie Duckworth wrote:
I've contacted a friend of mine who was a Mopac agent in the 1950's as to LCL billing. I think the cars were billed on a movement waybill agent to agent and then individual freight bills were issued for the individual LCL shipments. As to 'stopover cars' you are right the car would be billed to the ultimate destination but the waybill had a section for 'stop this cat at' for part unloads. After the car reached the intermediate point the agent would issue a corrected waybill with the next stop over or ultimate destination and consignee.

There's a great reference book titled 'the Station Agent's Blue Book ' that covers the waybilling, accounting, tickets, etc for the STMFC era. It was published by ' the Order of Railroad Telegraphers'. Mine copy is dated 1958. Makes great reading if you have any trouble sleeping at night.....
Yes, certainly at least some LCL was billed as you describe: a cover bill, agent to agent, and then all the waybills for the individual shipments stapled behind it. I am amazed to hear that the "Station Agent's Blue Book" was updated as late as 1958. I picked up a copy dated 1928 some time back, and guessed it was an artifact of that earlier era. It would be interesting to compare the two.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history